Supporting the Health of Survivors of
Family Violence in Family Law Proceedings
This project is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada and is designed to address the unique need of survivors of family violence within the family justice system. Canada’s research centres on violence against women will initiate, host and support a Community of Practice (CoP) comprised of family violence experts, survivors, family lawyers, researchers, mental health, and social service professionals .
The overarching goal of the project is to enhanced support to survivors of violence through the family law system by increasing opportunities for family law practitioners to have training, guidance and resources to support trauma-informed practice, and to improve coordination of services that will enhance the safety and wellbeing of all parties.
Major goals for the project (November 2020 and November 2023) include the following:
- Foster communication, collaboration and build relationship among experts from the family violence and family law sectors;
- Develop and disseminate evidence-based guidance and resources to address issues crossing these areas of concern;
- Provide learning opportunities to build capacity of practitioners in the field of violence prevention and family law;
- Promote research and evaluation initiatives to examine effective strategies for helping victims, perpetrators and their children receive the interventions they need from family court proceedings;
- Support sustained knowledge mobilization in the field.
- Develop guidance and information resources for dealing with COVID-19 and family violence victims involved in custody and access disputes that respect regional differences, and diverse realities.
- Develop guidance and information resources on critical issues related to risk assessment, safety planning and risk management strategies for family violence victims in family court, critical issues related to risk assessment, safety planning and risk management strategies for family violence victims in family court.
- Develop guidance and information resources on trauma-informed interventions for family violence victims in family court.
- Regional and National webinars on issues around risk assessment and supervised access provided by team of legal and family violence experts together with survivor.